2008-11-12

Mama's Birthday

Mama turned the big three-five this year! That age sounds so ... mature. And yet...

I decided this year that I don't mind aging as long as life is good, and with Sylvia's birth, life is very, very good! Even if she has given me a couple of gray hairs already...

Here are some photos from the day of my birthday and my birthday-with-babies celebration a week later. A couple other celebratory activities are not represented here. The night of my birthday, we had dinner with my dear friend from Wesleyan, Haan-Fawn, and her husband, Steve. Unfortunately, Sylvia was very, very fussy that night and not feeling photogenic! We also had dinner with my mom and Mark the following weekend -- a joint celebration, since my mother's birthday is the day before mine. Mom sent me the photos from that dinner (Sylvia was wearing her special dress from Asheville; our very Italian waiter, after mis-hearing Sylvia's name, kept crying, "Sophia! Sophia!" across the restaurant), but now I can't find them! Perhaps I can post them later.

The day began with opening presents from Kevin's family. Look at all the loot!


Sylvia definitely enjoyed the present-opening process. Such a good helper!

Since I don't have vision insurance as Kevin's dependent on his student insurance, I asked my parents for contributions towards an eye exam and new glasses this year, since it's been about five years since the last round! Obama can't pass his health plan fast enough, lemme tell ya. The eye exam and glasses-fitting doesn't make for very exciting photo-documentation, however. Nevertheless, I was excited about it, and I'm thrilled with the new glasses!

Anyway, Grandmas Pat and Sue got another favorite present, an exersaucer! Mama now has another safe place to put Sylvia down aside from the crib, and Sylvia can entertain herself for ... oh, I'd say a good 10 minutes or so. She's gained a lot of strength since she started to play with it and loves being able to play in an upright position.


Later, we went to the park, and I sported the birthday present I promised myself, a pair of knee-high boots! This is the first article of apparel I have bought since I got pregnant where I haven't had to buy it for maternity wear or nursing. Sooooo indulgent.


Sylvia has a blast in the swings!


For my birthday-with-babies, we went to another park and had a potluck picnic as well as deliciously rich chocolate and raspberry birthday cake.

Sylvia decided she wanted to use the opportunity to campaign for her future:


"Daddy, shouldn't we be canvassing or something?"


(We were so very happy at the results of the presidential election; the results of the Prop. 8 vote the next day, however, deflated the bubble quite a bit.)

We were joined by Laura, Scott, and Garrett, who is exactly a week younger than Sylvia. We know Laura through a mutual friend, and she is in Women's Studies at UCLA. Laura and Garrett also take Motherwell Yoga with us.


Wesleyan and WAC MFA alumna Rebecca came with hubby (and also Wes grad) Craig and their son, Elliot:


Magdalena also attended with her son, Theodore, and we finally got to meet her husband, Vlad. Magdalena and Theo are also in Motherwell Yoga, where she and I reconnected after we lost contact. This is only appropriate, since my mom introduced me to Magdalena in a yoga class over six years ago, before I had started at UCLA and before either of us had married! She graduated from Comparative Literature.


WAC MFA alumna Esther brought her daughter, Windega, and her mother-in-law, Jeanne.


Windega is now ready for her close-up:


Jeanne gave me a tutorial on carrying Sylvia on my back, West African-style. While I had seen this done many, many times in Senegal, there is a big difference between watching and doing! I appreciated receiving tips from an expert. Jeanne is always impressed with how much Sylvia grows between our visits with her.


While Sylvia is kind of high-maintenance, Garrett is very chill -- something I wish Sylvia would emulate from time to time. Here's Garrett, laid-back in the swing. Gotta love his high-top socks! What a dude.


Mama doin' her Mama thang:


Esther and I agreed that the best birthday present we could receive is the laughter of our babies. Sylvia gifted me quite a bit that day!

No comments: