2009-08-14

News: The Sylvia Vocabulary List

I recently pulled out the Dr. Sears Baby Book and came across this interesting sentence:

"Baby's speech explodes from an average ten words at fifteen months to as many as fifty by twenty-four months, though many sounds are still unintelligible except to parents."

Hm, I thought. Only ten? I wonder how many words Sylvia has. So I started to write them down.

Here is the list I came up with. I tried to limit myself to the words that she had as of her 15-month birthday on August 9 and did not include the recent additions (today: tiger). I list the words she speaks first, then the words she signs after.

Am I boasting? Um, well ... yes.


SPEAKS

(baa)
(moo)
(grrrrr)
Apple (ap-l)
Arm
Avocado (a-a)
Ball
Banana (na na)
Bear
Bib
Book
Bread
Bubble(s)
Burp
Bye-bye
Cup
Daddy (da-da)
Dance (danz)
Diaper
Dog (woof)
Down
Duck (quack quack)
Eat
Edge
Elmo (me-mo)
Grandma (grrrma or something)
Grandpa (grrrpa?)
Grapes (baps)
Hand (and)
Hat
Hop
Hot
Lamb (am)
Luna (na na)
Mama
Moon (ma ma)
More (ma ma)
Night-night
Off
On
One
Pants
Park (ark)
Pat
Poo-poo
Pop
Purple (pur-pl)
Red (wrrrret)
Ride (wide)
Right back
Rock
Star
Thank you
Tick tock (clock)
Tofu (bap-u or bapf)
Up
Warm
Water (wa-wa)
Wet
What
White
Whoa
Wipe
Worm

Total: 64

SIGNS

Again
Air conditioning
Airplane
All done
Apple
Baby
Balloon
Bath
Bear
Bell
Bib
Bird
Book
Boy
Bread
Bubble(s)
Bug
Bunny
Butterfly
Car
Cat
Caterpillar
Chair
Cheese
Cherry
Chicken
Cold
Cow
Crab
Cup
Daddy
Dance
Deer
Diaper
Dog
Don’t want (no)
Drive
Duck
Elephant
Fan
Fire
Fish
Flower
Food
Frog
Giraffe
Girl
Goat
Gone
Grandma
Grandpa
Grapes
Grass
Hat
Hear/Phone
Hot
Keys
Light
Lion
Luna (bear’s name sign)
Mama
Melon
Mirror
Monkey
More
Moon
Mouse
Music
My
Nurse/Nursies
O’s
Ocean
Off
On
Open
Orange
Orange
Out
Pain (owie)
Peach
Pig
Pillow
Please
Poop/Poo-poo
Potty
Purple
Radio
Rainbow
Red
Rock
Seal
Sheep
Shirt
Shoe
Shower
Sleep
Sleepy
Spider
Star
Sun
Swings
Teething remedy (medicine)
Thank you
Toys
Tree
Truck
Turtle
Wait
Water
What
Where
White
Wipe-wipe (clean)
Work
Worm
Yogurt

Total: 116

No comments: