2007-08-15

Action: Reduce Student Debt

Okay, I'm not sure the Tuesday thing is working out for me, so I might start posting actions on the weekends, probably Sunday.

Anyhoo, it's pretty quiet on the political action front, since Congress is in recess. Campaigns by national organizations have quieted down a bit. Here's an action from the Nation that is, I'm sure, close to several hearts out there, including mine.

Reduce Student Debt
Bill # H.R.2669

Original Sponsor:
George Miller (D-CA 7th)

Cosponsor Total: 32
(last sponsor added 06/25/2007)
32 Democrats


About This Legislation:
Congress has been subsidizing loan companies while students drown in debt. Now Democrats are poised to use these subsidies to benefit students directly by reducing tuition and interest rates. This would make a college education attainable for more young people. Urge your Representative to support this legislation.

See a full list of co-sponsors here.

I also wanted to UPDATE that Congressman Henry Waxman, the representative for my district and, I believe, for a good chunk of the L.A. Westside, met with advocates of impeachment for Bush and Cheney early this month and has said that he is keeping an open mind about it. Seize the moment, people! Now would be a very good time to write a letter.

More details here.

See the Bill Moyers conversation with John Nichols and Bruce Fein regarding impeachment. (Includes video from YouTube and a transcript of the program).

As always, you can find your representatives by entering your zip code on the Project Vote Smart site — see the link on the right under "Recommendations."

Last but not least ... MoveOn.org is hosting a series of virtual town halls to grill presidential candidates on The Issues. I don't know why I didn't hear about this until the second one was over. I'm not on their e-mail list because it's too overwhelming, but where's the promo on this?

At any rate, the first was on Iraq (victory: inconclusive, but somewhere between Edwards and Obama), the second on the climate change crisis (victory: Edwards), and the last will be on ... my favorite! ... health care. I haven't found a date for it yet, but it will "take place in the fall." I'll try to keep my eye on this one.

Happy dog days of summer, everyone ...

No comments: